Specifications

Brand
Panhard & Levassor
Model
type X66
Construction year
1932-09
Mileage
7871 km
Fuel
Gasoline
Transmission
Manual
Power
22 kW / 30 HP
Bodywork
Convertible
VAT
Margin
€ 114.900,-

Download pdf

Color group exterior
Blue
Has carpass
No
Is metallic
No

Options & equipment

Comfort

Exterior

Infotainment

Lighting

Miscellaneous

Safety

Description

Panhard & Levassor type X66 6DS Cabriolet

  • Serial number 680542
  • Important aesthetic and mechanical restoration
  • Known history

The Panhard-brand appeared at the end of the 19th century, heir to a rich history of horse-drawn carriage bodywork production since the early 1800s. Having become a recognised automobile brand from 1891, Panhard-Levassor was able to start vehicle production thanks to the manufacture, under licence, of the Daimler two-cylinder engine. Rapidly gaining notoriety, Panhard became one of the world's leading car manufacturers at the beginning of the 20th century, behind Dion-Bouton, which is still in the lead. In order to stand out from the crowd and climb new rungs, the brand took up the challenge of motor racing. Starting off on a high note, this gamble paid off for Panhard, who celebrated his first victory in the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris race in 1895, followed by Paris-Dieppe and Paris-Marseille two years later in the 6HP.

The success was reflected in the number of orders and enabled Panhard to become the leading French manufacturer before the First World War, having previously concluded serious contracts with the army, which enabled the brand to play an active role in the war effort and to supply the latter to this day.
Panhard-Levassor was even the official brand of the vehicles of the Presidency of the Republic under the mandate of Raymond Poincaré between 1913 and 1920 who ordered several 18HP and 20 HP models.

Panhard's history is marked by the era of the valve-less car, which began in 1910 when the valves were replaced by a sliding sleeve in the cylinders around the pistons. From 1924 until the Second World War, the brand offered both types of engine (with or without valves) simultaneously in its catalogue. The new engine without valves is sold as a silent engine with higher torque than the traditional engine, which gives it the attributes of a comfortable and pleasant long-distance trucker on the road; however, the disadvantage is that the engine without valves is greedy for oil, given the importance of the moving parts in this type of engine. In terms of performance, the new engine sets the bar high with a world record of one hour on board a 20 HP, 185 km/h average speed was recorded in 1925 and increases the reputation of this innovation.

Due to a relatively high manufacturing cost, the valveless system was abandoned on the brand's small cars and was only used on prestigious models such as the 6 DS and 6 CS designed by Louis Bionier until the brand's death.

With only 509 examples produced between 1929 and 1932, the 6DS type X66 benefits from a 3500 cc valveless engine with 6 cylinders in line. This luxury saloon is equipped with a chassis that is lowered between the axles, which gives it the name DS with an "S" for "Lowered". Included in the 19CV category, the 6DS can be delivered with many different bodies including a 6-seater saloon without luggage compartment, a 4-seater saloon with luggage compartment, a coupé and a convertible.

When it was first introduced in the late 1920s, the 6DS caused a sensation; the attention to detail was pushed to the limit and the model benefited from many new features including a chassis with a non-deformable frame, a double-bottomed floor to store the battery and tools supplied with the car and an anti-roll bar, an innovation on a production vehicle.

The Panhard-Levassor we offer for sale is an authentic Type X66 6DS convertible from 1932 whose history is still known today. It was sold to Baron Brincart, then director of the Credit Lyonnais in the 1930s with the original aluminium bonnet option. Kept in the same family until the Second World War, the car was transformed into a van, as was common practice at the time, in order to participate in the war effort.

Having reached its original condition as a van body, it is bought by the current owner in 2012 who undertakes major work to restore the Panhard to its original appearance. He then calls upon Mr Carrat's company in Belmont de la Loire for this important bodywork restoration just after his purchase. If the chassis, mechanics, front end and colour of the car are original and the equipment is complete, the car is completely boned and the bodywork can begin.
In accordance with the period, the bodywork is fixed on a beech skeleton; important studies and research on the means of manufacture of the time are undertaken to ensure conformity and for the overhaul of the engine and electrical circuits.

On board, the owner won many titles of elegance including first prize in the historic Paris-Deauville rally in 2015 and the bodywork prize in the Concours de la Baule in 2016. This is a great opportunity to offer you a genuine pre-war roadster with a biplane look and atypical mechanics.

 


More pictures available

Visible only on appointment

For further informations , please contact us +32 (0)2 681 81 00 & sales@british-sportscars.com